Potato Salad (Japanese)
Japanese potato salads are a little sweet and tangy, which I love since every bite seems to taste different. I've pickled the cucumber for this recipe with a little salt and sugar. This softens the texture and gives it zing. The flavors blend really well together, making this a personal favorite. Serve as a side to chicken katsu and you have yourself and very traditional and homely Japanese meal.
- 2 medium size potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium size carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 thumb size ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut in 1/4 lengthwise, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Boil potatoes and carrots until tender but still a little firm.
- In a bowl, pour a little salt and sugar over the cucumbers (about 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp sugar), mix with your fingers and leave to marinate for about 15-20 minutes. Drain and squeeze the excess water from the cucumber, rinse quickly under cold water and squeeze again.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots and ginger.
- With a potato masher, mash about 1/2 of the mixture, add cucumber, mayonnaise, sake, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well with a spoon or spatula.
- Adjust taste and texture (by adding more mayo) to your liking. Serve.